R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - so much for "not equivalent" voltages between nimh/lipo
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Leodis
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
OK - Lets start from the beginning - this thread starts with a test that shows 1 year old NiMh performs as well as 2 month old lipo. (actually better than the 3200 lipo).

Then everyone says, great now we have some proof that lipos are not faster than NiMh so everyone shoudl be switching soon. But, I bought mine thinking they would perform at least as well as my old NiMh, but I havent realized any performance gain, following our regular club rules - especially for weight.

I conclude that asides from saving some time on race day, I practically wasted $200 and that most other guys wont switch until the rules for weight and/or the length of races are changed (which I am all for).

Now, In return I was told I didnt do my research, was a hardcore cheater, should remove the weight and cheat, asked what my problem was cause everyone elses lipos go faster than NiMh. But the actual data suggests otherwise. Is there any data or tests that shows Lipos outperform NiMhs?

Harry, you didnt mention the rules for in the HPI challange. If they were not requiring a minumum weight, your Lipo car would have a significant advantage over the NiMh cars. And BTW, I observed a HPI Challenge race in Dayton OH in O5 or 06 and the electric cars were turning faster laps the nitro cars even with brushed motors and NiMh batteries.
Question: What class did you run with the lipos?

I ask that question because the only guys who I think might be at a disadvantage with lipo are the "badass" stock racers who need every little bit of voltage to make their slow motors go faster. I'm not a battery guru, but here's my two cents:

I primarily run mod truck with my lipos right now. With IB4200's, my truck feels like it's on roids during the first couple practice laps. After that, it settles down and the truck feels the same as it does with lipos for 3 - 5 minutes and then it's all downhill from there for NIMH. So in my experience, the only advantage NIMH gives me is the ability to run some really hot practice laps. And that's not really an advantage.

Last edited by Leodis; 07-19-2007 at 06:09 AM.