R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - so much for "not equivalent" voltages between nimh/lipo
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Turbo Joe
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
As someone who just spent over $200 on new lipos I feel misled. A 1 year old NiMh battery performs just as well as a brand new lipo? No wonder my lap times havnt improved.

But maybe there is more to it: What does internal resistance have to do with performance? I've read that lipos have a much lower IR than NiMh.
There are some really useful posts that explaining how IR is an advantage in mod, but not lower classes...look for Linger's stuff in the Orion threads. Basically, it helps in mod where you need lots of current...and notsomuch in stock/silvercan.

You were probably most misled by NiMh guys who blow all kinds of smoke about how powerful LiPos are, how they have so much voltage and how they're so unfair. People who run them know they're not "all-powerful wonder batteries", we run them because they're simple to use and they last for damn ever. They're WAY close enough to NiMh to get the job done in club racing and they stay that way forever (in R/C years).