R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2007 ROAR On Road Electric Nationals
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Brandon Rohde
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maybell
Brandon almost always provides the video to all members on the last day of a big event....
Originally Posted by schurcr
Maybell ..... you are correct in that Brandon has in the past opened up video on the last day or the last half of the last day. I don't expect tht he'll be doing this much anymore. With the number of tracks and races jumping onto the Live RC bandwagon (a great thing) he is now using considerably more bandwidth than in the past. We all know that bandwidth ain't free or cheap. At the 1/8 off-road nats last weekend he had over 1500 on video the last day which was a record. This caused a whole slew of problems due to server overloading. I guess that's a good problem for him but non the less the more video the more bandwidth and the more expensive it is for him to keep the site going.

Live RC is a great thing but if you really want video you should pay your one time Bonus Lap membership and support a great buisness that helps to promote our hobby of rc racing. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK BRANDON!!!!!!!!
Sorry this is kind of a late reply, but I got kind of bogged down trying to finish the new version of LiveRC this weekend and wasn't really monitoring the forums as much as I should.

Just to clarify a few things though, the audio and video access at each event on LiveRC depends on what the track chooses to do. By default, the audio and video is restricted to Bonus Lap members to cover the cost of bandwidth, but the track has the option of paying for everyone to have free audio and/or video. At times, I have opened up the audio and video to everyone for free even when it was not provided by the track, but that all depends on how many people are online and how much of our alloted bandwidth we have used so far. I would love to have all events free, but unfortunately the server and bandwidth costs need to be covered somehow. Maybe someday we will sign on a big sponsor for the site who would provide all the races for free :-D

This race did have full free video and audio access to everyone for the entire event. Please make sure you guys thank ROAR for paying for the free audio to everyone, and SIR for providing the free video to everyone. For the 2007 year, ROAR has contracted with LiveRC to broadcast all 7 events that the Race Management Team (RMT) is at. So far, this has been going great and I think it is awesome to see ROAR stepping up and bringing the nationals to the next level. The entire ROAR committee has put in a lot of time and effort into stepping up to the new era of r/c racing, so I think a big props should go out to them. I have been at quite a few ROAR races this year, and I think the RMT has been working out great. Every race so far has gone off smoothly, so I think this is a step in the right direction.

As a side note, we were able to upgrade to bigger and better servers before this race thanks to the awesome response we had from everyone at the ROAR 1/8th Buggy Fuel Nationals. To everyone who has signed up to support the site, THANK YOU! On Sunday, we also released an early stage of version 5 of LiveRC, which saw a number of visual changes. Behind the scenes though, a lot of work went into the compression of the audio and video, and the difference was pretty noticeable I think. Compared to past events, this was by far the best the a/v quality has been, and there are a few more tweaks that I am working on to make it even better. We will also be adding a lot of new features in later stages of version 5 as well, including private messaging with voice capabilities, and racer profiles.

Anyways, thank you again to everyone for tuning in and for their support! Make sure to tune in this coming weekend (July 19-22) for the Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout. Audio and video will be free, courtesy of Hot Rod Hobbies and the JBRL series.

Oh, and of course congratulations to Barry Baker (factory LiveRC racer, hehe) on another national championship!!