R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th scale GTP to 5 minutes?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 AM
McSmooth
Suspended

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
It's more than 80%, probably closer to 95%. 19t is simply a class that all the stock AND Mod drivers use to get a little more track time.
I've always maintained that interest would go up in BOTH TC and 1/12 if racers were restricted to one class per car type. If you want more track time, you race both TC and 1/12. Unfortunately, few race promotors will support this idea since initially it would mean less $$$ from entries. There would always be another promotor offering drivers the opportunity to run multiple classes with the same car type. This partly the result of "self-sanctioned" racing....each event trying to out-do the other at the expense of what might actually help racing, and then hiding behind the "just giving the racers what they want" excuse.

This also partly solves the hotly-debated "sandbagging" issue. Mod drivers in 19T, and 19T "semi-pros" in stock. After all, you can't force somebody to run in a particular class. Besides, last week someone posted that "Stock is a class, not an ability level", and I agree with that.

But I'm not going to turn this thread into another long-winded discussion on those topics...there's other places for that.

As to the initial point of this thread...leave it at 8 minutes. That's part of the appeal. Heck, if anything I'd be in favor of extending the race length.