R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - News Flash Indoor tracks droppin' like flies
Old 07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
chicagokenji
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Elboogie
I am about to do something that I never thought that i would do ......and this is getting an offroad buggy. I am a touring car person, that is all that I like to do. but because there are no onroad tracks open and because of the fact that I have all of this equipment, I want to race and have a blast and that is all that I want to do. So I am going to continue to support my LHS because I want to race and because of the fact that the track owners are good people and their intentions are true.
You don't mention where you will be racing off road at or where your local hobbyshop is. I bring it up because me and my boys have been racing 1/10th and 1/8th scale electric and nitro and love it around here, although it turns into a 10-12 hour day because all the tracks are 1+ hours from our house. A new hobbyshop opened up recently about 10 minutes from our house. We talked the owner into converting a basement space into a 1/18th scale carpet track. Me and the boys bought Xray m18's, Scalpel and some RC18's. I never thought I could have fun on a 30 foot by 20 foot track but I gotta say it's a GAS. The LHS isn't making a dime on the track itself. It will take him a total of about 7 months to get back the moeny he spent on the minimal build out because we have about 12 people regularly showing up. The racing program is only about 6 months old, but the track drives customers to the store.

My point is a club or LHS can still offer racing without spending a huge amount of cash. They need a space to place the carpet and here's the breakdown for a 30x20 carpet track:

Ozite: 500.00
I-Lap Race Timing System: 600.00
Alycat Race Software: 250.00
Used computer and printer to run the above: 150.00
Used tables and chairs for pit area: 200.00
Materials for track barriers: 250.00

In my opinion racing Xray M18's or Recoils comes really close to how much fun 1/10th scale sedan racing is. I know it's not the same but it's pretty close. I think it's because we just love racing...it doesn't really matter what the type of vehicles are used....