R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Maxamps Lipo Battery Review
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 AM
kuzo
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Sure Did. Almost tried it then decided to pick up some 6000's instead.
Is this it.?
That's the one. It looks like what I did with my 24V Lithium drill when the charger crapped out and I was in the middle of a project. 3 in series with a whole lotta zipties.

Originally Posted by Leodis
Craps wrote:
As an Orion and Maxamps lipo owner and avid lipophile, I believe that Kokam and Enerland cells in protective hard cases are the only way to go at this time. They're the only cells that have been proven to be safer than NIMH. I like my Maxamps 8000, but not everyone runs electric stadium pro truck like me and Craps, and other classes need batteries that can take some serious abuse.

That Maxamps 6000 went off like a blowtorch at Mike's Hobby Shop in Dallas, TX. He is possibly the only indoor track owner in Region 9 who allows lipos and he ended up with a fire under the driver's stand and a bunch of lipo goo on his shoe. That happened on an ozite track and the outcome could have been a lot worse. I fear that some people trying to save a buck or two are going to ruin it for the rest of us. The Orion 3200 is perfect for a cf chassis, and the new orion lipos will hopefully be perfect for indoor offroad and electric stadium pro truck. I think that Maxamps has its place in the industry, but I don't believe that place should be indoors...
Well to be fair I heard it was the driveshaft that cut into the pack as well as a lot of impacts. That would cause most lipos to have an issue. I guess my biggest concern is every lipo fire regardless of the reason is fuel for the fire(pun intended) that causes anyone anti-lipo to launch yet another series of pictures of melted batteries. Usually along with "At least this wasn't in your house" like it proves something. While I don't care what they think it's the people on the fence who see these scary pictures and quite likely decide against it.

I'm loving that people are running long mains with lipo as it's really starting to show the capabilities of these batteries.