R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RCLAB 7even Cars.
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 09:39 PM
seaball
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs down slop in the steering

hummm. i've touched on this a while ago, but here are some causes, and subsequent solutions

at first, i found the same thing as far as slop goes. the good part is that it doesn't come from the posts or bearing assembly. first i replaced all of the outer link (tie rod) ends with rpm ball ends. they fit tight and don't deform as easily.

another cause for steering slop is actually the c hubs or carriers. if they are not shimmed properly and/or the set screw is not used, they will rock back and forth as part of some kind of active castor gimmick. shim them and snug the set screw and you will be much happier. funny how the optional alum carriers omit this feature. hummmm.

and something that i think was poor engineering was the proximity of the drag or ackermann link pivots to the post axis. i ended up using some threaded balls from corally and threading them, like a nut, onto the back of the balls used for the tie rod linkage. now they share the same axis and are about 50% further away from the post axis. this keeps the slop from being magnified from the through of the belcrank.

lasty, as my ball cups wear, or more likely stretch, i use teflon tape ($.99 at home depot) on all the joints whenever i reasemble them. i fold it two or three fold, and lay it on the ball cup so the the ball presses it uniformly into the cup when assembled. it takes up any remaing slop, and is fairly friction friendly.

after all this is done, you should be ready to rock and roll. i've noticed that i've run so long on my bearings, the the axle itself has play within the hubs. time for some new bearings.

hope that all this is helpful. once the car is dialed, you'll love it. and i'm still sticking by the opinion that it has THE best twin belt transmission out there.

lataz.