R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Future of RC
Thread: Future of RC
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
TeamB&B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Back to the parking lot.

I remember the go-kart industry experienced the same problem 20 years ago. Their solution was to pack up about 20 spec cars in a truck and went to the busiest Walmart, Kmart, and shopping center with the most parent $$ and kid traffic. They allowed the kids to ride free and give them prizes for winning. The prize was a free ticket to a local go kart track for a test and tune day. The winners were told that they have a special skill (brainwash and marketing speak ) and they should continue. A lot do.

RC electric in particular should start off with a RTR with brushless, lipo. Everything in one box for less than $200. Traxxis and Losi have already started the trend. We need Tamiya to convert their product line up and promote their TCS series. Have nationwide events within 50 miles of a major hobby shop. Bring 20 cars to a mock event and let the folks go at it. Young and old. Have mock races. The winners get a free kit. The goal is they have to pick it up their prizes at the hobby shop on the days when the local racers are there. Each newbe will be paired with a racer during the first few months.

Gas TC and 1/8 scale is growing like crazy in the Mid Atlantic region because the classes are only a few. Electric TC should be only 4 classes.
1. Brush stock 27 T (No sponsored, team drivers)
2. 13.5 brushless (BL) Fixed timing
3. 10.5 brushles (Fixed timing) /19 turn
4. MOD 3.5 Turn Variable timing

All events will have a tire quantity limit such as 2 set of tires for a 3 heat/1 main event.

There is talk about bringing back pan cars and 17+ turn brushless. I think this is going the wrong direction. People will spend money and more speed than they can handle. This is formula that gas is offering to people very sucessfully.

I live near Washington DC. The capital of Associations. Track and Hobby Shop owners need to form an association separate from ROAR to promote and foster the hobby to the benefit of the members. Professional advertisement and marketing consultants need to be involved. Let them do their jobs such as demographics, income level, strategy, etc.