R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 2.4 ghz fasst vs. Spektrum 2.4 ghz DX2
Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 AM
RCGaryK
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc_Boy89
From my understanding the fasst compared to the spektrum is the fasst is continously searching channels where as the spektrum finds a channel locks onto it then if someone were to switch on their transmitter with that channel the spektrum is on the spektrum unit shuts down for 3seconds? to find a new channel (not so good for a gas car )
Im not to sure which one is faster but the futaba fasst is awesome, I have one with my 3pks, it works great

That is absolutely untrue. The way the 2.4 GHz equipment is regulated by the FCC a 2.4GHz device needs to be equipped with what's called collision avoidance. Collision avoidance is a protocol which eliminates the possibility of more than one Spread Spectrum system from transmitting on the same frequency. That being said, when someone turns on a Spektrum or FAAST system, the system scans the channels in the band and finds an open frequency to broadcast on. If a channel is in use, the system will skip past it. On a frequency hopping system, if a frequency is in use the system will continue to scan the band until it finds an open channel. The longer it takes to find a clear frequency translates into increased latency and possible data packet losses. Direct sequence systems are on the same frequency the entire time the radio system is powered on, so the only scan-time in the system occures when you first power it on to find an open frequency.