R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4R
Thread: Mugen MTX-4R
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM
asw7576
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Corse-R
Posted it on the plain MTX4 thread, but... if someone suffers from, this could be of help to you, fixed two cars in a row with that syndrome.

1. Disassemble your 2 speed assembly.
2. Remove the small balls that put the spacing of the shoes to the bell (see attachment, are marked in red)
3. Change the 3x5 grub screws by 3x8 grub screws and tighten it all down up to the metal piece that holds them.
4. If is scored, change too the T0233 piece for a brand new one.
5. Assemble and adjust the clearance of the 2 speed shoes (I adjust them at 0.2 in total, so this is 0.1mm on each shoe).

Last but not least, doble, triple, n-check that your engine is correctly attached to the chassis, who is parallel to the main shaft, that gear mesh is correct and you have a straight main shaft and your crankshaft isn't bent too.
ehem.... I think this was my idea ..... anyone can check my original post in mtx3 and mtx4 thread. I think it should be 3x10mm dremel to 9mm.

BTW, stripping gear syndrome is nothing to do with 2 speed clutch.

Stripping gears in mtx4 are cause by one or more factors like :

1. clutch bell is touching the 2nd gear housing
2. 2nd gear housing is touching the plastic bar that holds rear bulkhead to upper deck
3. weak rear bulkheads ( probable twisting under stress )
4. Engine mounting shift
5. 2nd gear housing is touching the rear stabiliser.
6. wobble in clutch bell <--- hardly but plausible.

When all the above factors are exist, then a stripping gear will most likely to happen.

Solutions for each of the above problem :
1. Use bigger pinions by 1 tooth for 1st and 2nd gear
2. Add 0.3mm shim between the bearing and the pin on the main pulley shaft
3. Use longer screws like 3x10mm or 3x12mm ( use toothpick to measure depth ) for super holding the rear bulkheads against impact, twist and engine heat.
4. Use 1 piece engine mounting and/or use longer screws 3x10mm
5. Use blade type rear stabiliser, or you use longer plastic ball connectors.
6. Make sure the bearings are put deep inside the clutchbell, and the bearings are in good conditions.