R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
kuzo
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i was the one that marshaled the car. i don't believe that the impact started the flame up. I believe that the driver started the flames. he was on throttle while his car was up against the boards. or at least the speedo was applying throttle while the car was on the boards. I believe that heated the pack up. I watched the car. the car did not start smoking until I got to it. and just before the smoke was a small spark. this I am sure was at least a few seconds after the board hit (I am slow when it comes to marshaling. lol) I got the car off the boards and then the spark and then the smoke and then the BBQ began. I picked the car up with all the flames and threw it outside the track, but it went under the stand. then I pulled it from under the stand and left it on the concrete floor. that is when the battery fell out. Then Mike was able to find a trash can and get the ball of flames out the door. All that happened and not a scratch on the carpet. one thing to note. the saftey hazard is a real problem. the problem with lipo pack is that it produces its own fuel. there is really no way to put out a lipo pack easily at the track.
Good thing you didn't get hurt man. Quick on your toes at least. Can I just say that according to the manufacturer, this would not have happened with an Orion pack. I admit I am a lipo convert. But I will not use or promote to be used any pack that would do what happened to you that day. THAT is an unacceptable safety risk. There is no excuse for running a pack that will not handle everything that will be thrown at it from amp draw to physical damage.