R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
So this is what I understand about Delta Winds. There are two solder points to each coil. In a delta wind, there is a Solder Ring on the pinion end of the motor. This joins one end of all the three coils together. The other connection is at the back of the motor one for each pair of coils. By its very nature, then, you end up with 1/2 winds like 3.5 or 4.5. You start a wind at the back and finish at the front of the motor, giving the extra half wind. I don't see how you would make a delta wind with 4.0 wraps. I have not seen this explained anywhere though. I have just seen the inside of several motors. The trinity 3 wind motor does not have this solder ring on the pinion end of the motor. It is a y wind as stated by Trinnity just below. Y just means that two coils start at one solder point and then y off into two coils. That is what I think it means. Coils start and terminate at the back of the motor. Definitely a different type of wind than the Novak. Delta just means the start and end of the coil are separated by some distance along the length of the motor.
John
John this is an error. You´re talking here not on delta but on star wind or wye wind what is the same. Also that solder connection (solder ring) of the one side of the coils could be on both sides of the motors so there are half winds and full winds possibe. 3.5T, 4T, 4.5T and so on.
Delta wound is the version where each side of the coil is connected to an other coil. If you are replacing Delta by Triangle you can easily see the configuration. For this reason Delta wind is possible with full winds only.
For performance you can´t compare the same number of windings on both configurations. Delta needs much higher windings for comparing, factor is 1.73.