R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR STOCK motors.... rule changes regarding BRUSHLESS
Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Orange
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RussB
lets talk about what's good and what's bad for the hobby. too many classes is very bad for the hobby. that alone should be the prime factor in allowing brushed and bl to run together. nobody wants to run classes with 3 or 4 people in them. constantly changing the rules is bad for the hobby. inconsistent rules are bad for the hobby. rules that are contrary to what the members want are bad for the hobby.

think back to the days that rebuildable stock motors were introduced. were they relegated to their own separete class? they offered huge performance advantages by being able to be cut on a real lathe. both types of motor were allowed to run together and eventually rebuildable took over. if brushed and bl are allowed to run together, eventually the better motor will take over.

racers having to buy new speed controllers is not really a valid argument. this is a day and age where people drop $400 to $500 on a chassis every 6 months or so. some racers spend $40 a weekend on tires. any racer who isn't willing to suck it up and spend the extra $180 or so on a new speedo to keep up probably isn't serious enough to be affected by brushed or bl anyway.

lets talk about beginners... if you were looking at this hobby from the outside, would you rather buy a motor that you have to work on all the time? you have to also buy a motor runner, a lathe, springs, brushes, etc... and 4 months later you need a new motor again. and you still have to pay the same ammount for a speedo.

or would you rather buy one motor and know that you'll almost never have to work on it, it will be the consistent every run, and it will last you over a year?
Personally, I think if I were looking in from the outside as it is right now, I would buy a gas car and get more bang for my buck.

Right now we have to look at what is going to bring us back to the promise land. Is brushless the answer? Who knows... I think in the end we are going to be paying possibly more to go to a race. With the brushless will come LiPo.... With LiPo will come longer time for races.... Longer time for race will come less entries at a race OR more days for a race. If I added 1 minute to each race for the Cactus, I would have to drop 50 entries from the event. To make up for the loss of 50 entries, I would have to increase race entries prices OR I could keep it the same and add a day, but I will still have to raise entries because I now have another day of staffing I have to pay for. Keep in mind that the Cactus is not a handout race. The entry for the race this year was $60 per and no break for a second or third.

Now not only is the racer having to pay more for the entry, but also might have to pay another day of hotel and any rental fee's to boot. Where is the savings, exactly? If you seriously think that a track makes big bucks on a race like that, then your idea of big bucks is a little skewed... The Cactus basically keeps the track open for the rest of the year. Thats it. Without that race, the track does not exist.

You on-roaders are the worst about buying a new car every month IMO... New batteries every month.... A new car comes out and you get it without even knowing if it is good or not. . We got a tc5 on the shelf with a sign that says "car of the week".... We have a JRXS-R with a sign that says "Car of last week" Seriously! Last month X-Ray, month before that, Cyclone, Yokomo, x-ray again, etc..... With electric offroad it is quite different...

Last edited by Orange; 06-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.