R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Murnan Modified Motors
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 AM
ziggy12345
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grinder
Very cool project. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Has the car shifted into second gear yet? I wonder how you can control all of the engines rpm, and shiftpoints exactly? What happens if one shifts, and the others do not? Just wondering. I imaging special gears would have to be made to hit 150mph. Keep up the good work. Please keep us posted here too. I wonder if anyone has ever tried a twin engine on road car, let alone a 3 engine.
Hi

Thanks for the support. I have only got the car rolling around outside the house and a blip of the throttle destroyed the plastic pulleys and middle belts!

I have ordered steel re enforced belts 5mm pitch that can take 74lbs load and aluminium pulleys.

The gearing on the car will remain the same but the gearing from the layshaft will be changed from 20-48T to 32-32t to give 1/1 drive to the rear axle.

For the 2 speeds I think it will happen like this.

As the first engine shifts in to 2nd gear the car will accelerate and the other engines will pick up speed rotating the layshaft faster and kicking in the other 2 speeds. If the are set anywhere near close they will all change so fast you wont notice it. (Thats the theory!)

The problem is the clutches. Normally a 1/8th car engages the clutch and it slips until the car pick up speed which is only a fraction of a second. On mine this will be a long time so I am expecting a lot of slip.

I will add 3 small grub screws to each weight to increase the clutch engage pressure but this will kick in the clutch really early so might stall the engines. I need to find the right balance

Grinder! Send me a sticker for the side of the car!!