R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 5 cell Stock for the ROAR Onroad Nat's?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 01:47 AM
ooliganRC
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Desolas
Well they will probably be running 5 cell in open modified, with 3.5 (or variants of) brushless motors. There isn't a power loss there. I think what will happen is you end up with a bunch of guys playing 5 cell touring car ping pong on such a small track. Will be fun to watch, but will be a race of attrition.

I think we'll see that the 5 cell brushed cars in open mod are faster, much like on a larger track. Less weight, more corner speed, and less mass to accelerate. The cars are also more nimble with 5 cell, so they will be able to skirt around the tighter track easier than the 6 cell counter parts.

It's kind of lame that we're jumping on the "lets do everything that Europe does" bandwagon, but I guess that is the way RC racing in the USA is. 5 or 6 cell, I don't think it will hurt the race; it's still going to be fun to watch.

As for bringing new people in, it's just adding to the confusion... I don't think this is going to help, or hurt the hobby, it's just one more thing for guys like me to explain to new guys when they walk into the shop full of questions. There just aren't enough new people trying to come into the hobby..but that's a whole different thread.
here in the UK 5 cell stock has been tried by a few peeps.......indoors on short tight tracks, not much difference except the bigger pinion used to get more speed....on larger tracks the 5 cell stock is bloody useless.

Problem is as mentioned before ... too many classes....

Looking at how Europe and UK have run there modified class 5 cell mostly with brushless.....you guys in tyhe US should try it.

We run 1350g chassis weight and 5 cell open... so that 3.5 brushless in most cases......no you thought 6 cell with a 7 is fast.. you guys havent seen anything.

lighter cars, controllable speed... ridiculous speed.....at every track these cars race at lap records have been broken, well more like smashed normally by almost a lap if not more.

I dont think 5 cell stock is the way.

Looking at whats happening in the UK i think next year well end up with 5 cell modified and possibly 5 cell 19T or similar.

27T will obviously stay at at club and regional level, but our nationals will be dropped to 1 /2 classes.. which could also be due to the drop in attendance.

You guys have it easy......pretty much all motors are legal etc.....thats no so here, but we are working on it

Pete