R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Inspgadgt- If you compare my present gearing to my former gearing with stock pan cars you will find I use lower ratios. This is mostly for performace but it has the benefit of lower temps. Temps are still high. I am running hot mods. 3.5 and 4.5 turn are hot mods. The car has more rear traction with the 3 link. Instead of spinning the back tire the lower gears now create weight transfer and more forward traction. I am satisfied that my Mamba problems are a sensorless problem that shows its ugly head under difficult driving conditions, Low traction, delicate cornering, starting from a stop. In some classes of racing these problems may not appear.
By hot mods I meant like a brushed hot mod....say a 9 or 10 turn motor...in a pan car you would gear those around 6:1 or lower depending on track conditions. But the Novak SS says to gear theirs like a stock motor which would be around a 4:1 on the same track even though it is the equivalent of a 10T motor. But the Novak SS is a very early BL system and things have changed a lot since then so I'm not sure if the way they geared still holds true with today's BL systems.