View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #1181
Alfie
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Alfie

Basically those rear shaft and hubs do bend when some cars hit mine or when I crashed into the side of the curbs at high speed. That was when I hadn't got used to the speed and handling some time back.

I am careful with my GT now, and tend to keep my car off the curbs to save some bucks. Though the parts are affordable on this car, but saving on money for spares in terms of replacements for worn ones is still a better idea. No point crashing out and burning some banknotes.

The Nylon Nut idea is good, but in terms of a Tourer's wheels and tires that added to the stress level of those shafts on the rear end, I think it's only natural that something's gotta give. Pan cars are on foams, so the absorption upon impact is better.

I remember when I was running my RC10L3 Touring with Foams one day and I didn't see a cyclist coming my car's way, it strucked into the front wheel of the bicycle. The cyclist went over my RC10L3, with both wheels. Nothing broke. I picked up my car and found a bent Rear Graphite Shaft.

Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
In the older pan cars and the Trinity Street Spec, it was recommended to use a nylon nut rather than the metal with the nylon insert. If you took a real hard hit with the weight of the metal axle, the metal nut would sometimes strip the threads on the axle. The nylon would have to be replaced often but the axle was preserved.

Have you ever bent the rear axle on the F103gt?
Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote