R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what is too lean??
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 06:35 AM
neopumpkin
Tech Initiate

Default what is too lean??

i just got my new hyper 7 pbs up and running.. started breaking it in on saturday (such a beautiful day in maryland), and got through my first 2 tanks, running it super rich.. cut out on me a few times but it never got above 230 degrees F

sunday i mess around with it a bit more and get up to about the 4th tank and the temp got up to about 260, and i cut it off.. i was just putting it around and my LHS said that i should be driving it around a bit to keep the air flow going through the heat sink.. (my first r/c so it's all pretty new to me)

the engine would cut out on me with a cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust, if i gave it more than 1/4 throttle.. on the 5th tank i began to lean out the top end and the low end needles some, and it actually ran much better.. i could take it up to 1/2 throttle and it would fly.. anymore throttle, it would cut out.. so i gradually leaned it out a bit more, and by the time i got to my 6th tank it was just about dialed in..

i ran my 7th tank last night at a baseball field, and i couldn't get it dialed in perfectly.. the top end was either too rich and i couldn't really get on the throttle, or it would overheat and get up to about 280, when i would cover the carb with my thumb to cut it off.. dont want it to over heat..

so my question is: why is it running so hot? is it overheating? which adjustments should i make to my carb to get it running perfectly?

i'm afraid to put the shell on it as i can't see the onboard temp to see how hot it is.. as far as running it on saturday and sunday, i ran it without the shell on, as i wanted the engine to get max airflow to keep it cooler, but apparently that's not enough.. any help would be mucho appreciated! thanks

-jimmy