R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GTB Speed Spectrum ESC
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Double Quattro
Tech Adept

Default GTB problems with motor plugs installed ?

It’s funny how these Novak threads always start with some drama and heated postings…anyways…
I just used the 1711 for the first weekend of racing and would like to offer what I experienced.

My intent was to use this ESC along with the 13.5 SS for two specific roles. I race brushed stock class but wanted to use brushless for practice and set-up runs. Originally I thought of using a pair of Deans plugs on the motor for quick change over between brushed and brushless. Unfortunately this didn’t work out so smooth.

I had a hard time getting the ESC to stay in brushed mode when I switched motors with the Deans motor plugs installed. Either the extra connectors/solder points or something else was making the car run intermittently in brushed mode. It appeared from the LED indicators that all was well but the motor would not turn (green LED on solid when I pressed full throttle as in normal operation) I would have to re-engage the mode selection process with the motor unplugged (per the manual) then plug it back in then it would work for a while. I actually DNF both of my qualifiers because of this.

So for the main I said enough with the plugs (wasn’t really convenient anyways) and direct soldered. The ESC has worked beautifully since. I figure this is the way to go anyways but wanted to try the motor plug option.

Anyone else have similar experiences or can offer a rational explanation for the intermittent operation with the motor plugs installed? I made sure the soldering was solid and obviously used the best low resistance plugs available.

On a side note, this is still the best ESC I have ever owned (all Novak since my first N-4) ….and the 13.5 SS is pure silky smooth!!

Thanks