R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies Cyclone
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Wing Chun
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi ROV
I asked this same question on the TRF thread about 8 months ago and Bender was able to give me some great advice, I was amazed in the difference that the car handled between changes.

Here is what Bender said

When you have both the centre and front one-ways in, you get maximum turn-in from the car, plus maximum drive train efficiency, however brakes are practically non-existant - ie: you'll spin the rear round as soon as you touch them.

If you use a spool up front them you should always run the locked centre pulley. If you run a spool with the centre one-way pulley then you'll have no brakes, therefore losing all the advantage of running a spool in the first place.

If you run a diff up front you should also run the locked centre pulley - because at least you have brakes. If you run a front diff with a centre one-way then again you have no braking, plus you'll also have poor mid/exit corner steering.

In summary, my recommendations on combination are:

Front one-way with centre one-way : maximum turn in + efficiency + speed - no good if you need brakes or can't drive smoothly.

Front one-way with locked centre pulley: a bit less turn-in than above but otherwise similar. When I ran the MSX I always used both one-ways together.

Front spool with centre locked pulley : maximum mid/exit corner steering, strong brakes, but poor efficiency and hard on the drivetrain components.

Front diff with centre locked pulley: good brakes, easier to drive, but generally pretty poor steering everywhere - easiest on the car in terms of drivetrain wear.

Now this guy know's his stuff, and I have used it all.
I used this on my MRE/MSX and now my Cyclone,
As far as Turn in goes, I added 1.5 shims under my pivot blocks and what a difference it made, do you use them at all?
Hope this helps
Addam