R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ttso
I'm reading over-rc's 1994 Pro10 World article (http://www.overrc.com/vintage/course...sonnenberg.htm) . All the sudden I found DB12R isn't using an unproofed U-bar design, it acturally used 23yrs ago by Yokomo YRX-10 prototype.

So this brings me a question: what's major different between longitudinal battery placement vs horizontal battery placement???? As there is only a few kit using longitudinal battery placement in 1/12 right now.
I have seen that car in person. Its nothing like Jason's car. The Yok Proto had the read pod directly mounted to the U shaped flex plate.

On the DB12R the pod is mounted to 2 seperate L-shaped flex links with pivot balls. The DB12R is completely free moving fore and aft and has side to side spring from the flex links. This is the key to the design. You can isolate fore and aft and side to side spring rates and tune each to any surface. Also the flex links are super progressive in spring rate. Near level there is no spring rate so the car is tweak free but the more the rear pod rolls the stiffer it gets and this gives a ton of steering.

As far as battery placment. Length wise works on a 1/10th car but its is not ideal in a 1/12th car. In a 1/12th car the batts need to be as far back as possible to allow the car to transfer weight fore and aft on and off power. This is on any surface. This is less of an issue on carpet as you need less steering than on asphalt but it still applies.