R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reedy Race of Champions
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Kevin Boyle
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
The Tamiya track has always been extremely abrasive. It's murder on rubber tires. I don't care if it's a RP30 or a Sorex tire. Other tracks I've raced on don't wear out RP30's anywhere near as bad. Yes, they do still fall off a little bit. But nothing like they do at the Tamiya track. Guys in Europe and Asia run nothing but rubber tires (for the most part) and have to deal with tires dropping off after a run or two and know how to compensate for it. We don't. Mainly for some of the reasons that everyone is saying they prefer foams. Foams don't fall off after a run. So there's no need to compensate for it. So we don't learn how to deal with it. Until we have more outdoor rubber tire races in the States, we'll be lacking when it comes to running on used tires.

That being said, I do think the Invite class should still be a handout tire, but they should have 8 sets, not 4. Mainly for the spectators. IMO this will make the racing that much tighter because you won't end up with half of the field in each heat on used tires and half on fresh tires. I doubt there's a driver in the invite class who has to pay for their own tires so the cost of it shouldn't be an issue. You won't really end up with the two car breakaways we tend to see a lot with the 4 set rule.

John,

Very well said and that was my point exactly!

Larry,

As I said before (please read my post) I have been racing off road lately after running an On Road program both inddor and out for two years. Try being a race director everytime you hit the track and let me know how you feel.

I am coming back to on road this fall but I can voice my opion if I would like. I am all for more rubber racing period.

Guys,

Has anybody ever run foams at the Tamiya track. If so how would that compare since the track is so abrasive.

Later
Kevin Boyle