R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - First timer!!!Can anyone help choose a car?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 AM
fhm555
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome to the wonderful world of rc cars. It's an addiciton for some, but not me. I could quit any time I want, really, I could.

Never forget the big lie that is RTR. In order to sell a fully equipped car for about the same as a pro level kit, component quality has to be reduced. Besides the obvious throwaway electronics and PITA pullstart engine/pipe, this is typically done with stamped parts rather than (stronger) machined units for the chassis and shock towers, lower quality chassis braces, shocks, turnbuckles, diff gears, drives, etc., etc. Losi and Sportwerks have raised the bar with decent transmitters, but their servos are still crap.

With your budget of $1500 you can get a pro level kit and components and avoid all the frustration associated with an RTR constantly breaking down.

If you are wanting a tough kit, the CEN Matrix FRE buggy or truggy are about the toughest going these days. The rougher the track the better they like it. An OS 21VG and Dynamite 063 hard coated pipe, OFNA chrome top starter box, an Airtronics MX3 or Spektrum radio, a pair of HD analog servos, and a good receiver pack/charger can all be bought with plenty of money left over for fancy paintjobs, extra wheels and tires, rechargable batteries for your transmitter, tools, etc., etc.

Being new to rc cars, bite the bullet and buy everything new. Used gear can be a real bargin, or a total waste of money, and the only way to know the difference is experience. A trusted friend who can help you is the only way you should consider used gear. It wouldn't hurt to use a local shop provided they have a knowledgeable staff and decent prices, but sadly, shops with both of these qualities are few and far between these days.

Last of all, don't let anyone talk you into a pull or shaft starter! I promise you will be much happier with a bumpbox.

Oh, and one last thing, don't forget to have fun!!