R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Legalization
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
That's just me... I could be completely wrong.
I think most racers will agree, myself included.

Huge amounts of run time is important to bashers, and people trying to hang with nitro. And it's great for that, because there are already packs available with massive capacity the make this a reality.

For the racing crowd, we just need to make 5 minutes with as much voltage as possible. Orion gets that, and it's seemingly the market they're after. The bashers have all kinds of choices, though none seem to offer the safety and cycle life of Orion's packs.

John Stranahan's thread has made it pretty obvious that the benefits of the Kokam cells come at the expense of voltage, which will make things interesting, and possibly painful if LiPo finds its way into mainstream racing. We really need rules in place that define exactly what cells are allowed for organized racing. The "Wild West" of LiPo could be more confusing than NiMH has ever been with all the options out there.

We also NEED a standard size for these packs so future car designs can accommodate them. The size of the Orion Platinum pack seems as good as any, and apparently Schumacher and Losi agree.