R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
mtveten
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

RMD,

Sam is a big fan of the ED setup and I would agree that its increased efficiency does make up for some of what it lacks in gearing. My only problem with the ED system is that the gearing is so far off for the tiny track I see I have to cut my tires down to 55/57mm to get the rollout I need. With the "poor boy ED" I trade some drive train efficiency for the gearing (8.32/5.4-5.64) the tracks need when grip is med. to high.

The lower gearing of the 2.4 internal buys me an extra 3mm foam moving my peak lap times from 57mm (end of run) to 60mm rears(middle of run).

I would suggest you take a look at the tracks you are going to be racing on and what kind of gearing the other racers are using before deciding which way to go. If the faster runners are gearing their first gear down in the 8s and/or tuning their fastest laps just before their tires die I would suggest the 20T setup, if not the ED would be better.

pulleys for the 20T are:
K1484 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 20T Side Pulley (2 speed shaft)
K1485 G4 & V1 Hard Coated 20T Brake Pulley
K1405 G4 Hard Coated 26T Pulley

as for gearing I would suggest a 15/52 first gear if you can get the power down and adjust 2nd for the top end needed.

The 2 tracks I see most race both electric and nitro and run between 125-150ft long so I general use a 15/52 w/ 20/46 or 21/47 depending on the layout.

Sam,

From my perspective TM's has been neglecting the US recently. When I see updates like the ED that omits parking lot gearing options, the upcoming G4+ that still doesn't have a rear roll center adjustment through the lower pin and a distributor change to Trinity I can't help but feel like their not concerned about US customers.

Mark