R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray NT1
Thread: Xray NT1
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtveten
The idea is to balance the car's left/right weight distribution to provide more symmetrical handling. I prefer to start with the ballast as close to the front/rear centerline since that yields the least impact on the car front/rear bias.

The best way to balance the car would be to use 4 scales with each wheel centered over 1 scale. With the car on the scales you would then add weight to the heavy side to make the left & right side of each end perfectly match while maintaining the front/rear weight differential.

Although scales are needed to make perfect adjustments I have found the simple balance pins to be much faster, easier and in practice just as good; providing you can place your ballast close to the front/rear center line.

With a Nitro car it is important to check balance both with dry and full tanks since most cars don't have their fuel load perfectly centered. After you figure the ballast required for both dry and full you should split the difference giving you the closest possible balance throughout each stint.

Mark
Its more than just symetrical driving. It balances out the traction for each tire. Too much weight on one tire and too little weight on one tire will either overuse or not fully use the given tires traction to its full potential. More even tire wear , more grip and you can adjust front to rear balance.