Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM
yyhayyim
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson
You've got some good points yyhayyim. For us it's still a difficult subject, but for Jews in Israel, it's much simpeler. RC Racing is car racing on a smaller scale. And every way of car racing is prohibited for Israeli. So for a lot of people this discussion had ended. ...
Rick: Yes, its tough for us Jews who love the sport and races are held on Saturdays. However, in Israel, I know that RC clubs dont open on Saturdays. Races are held on other days of the week, specially Sundays. Maybe there are some "outlaw" clubs run by secular non-religius Israelis. That's not the norm, however. Fellow Jewish observant racers dont race, nor care to Race on Saturdays anyways, so its not an issue for us. We just race on Sundays or other days...for non-jews, its not an issue, since G-d doesnt require you to keep the Shabbat as Jews are commanded to so by G-d in the Torah. You guys can keep the Shabat as a day of worship or rest, but you dont have to keep all its laws- so RC racing would be Ok for our non-jewish fellow men/women.

But whe are still with the problem. But it's not only with RC racing that there are problems with Shabbat. I'm not really religious, but if I were it would be really difficult to find a job for me here in Holland. Most jobs for students my age are in either stores or restaurants. And both want you to work on saturdays and in bars/pubs also on fridaynight....
I'd recommend speaking with your local Rabbi. These are issues we all have to deal with, even in the USA. Trust me, its not an issue at all. You can easily be a good observant Jew and keep Shabat- you just need correct advice on how to get this done...

But I'm getting a bit off-topic. Most of the time I don't have a lot of choice, the races most of the time are either 2 day races or sunday races with practise on saturdays. So I have to race on a lot of saturdays...
You're not getting off topic- that's what the forum is for. You do have a choice- you are not obligated to race on during Shabbat- maybe you can talk w/ the race directors- that's what I did locally, and in the end, everyone agreed to it. Oval-offroad on Saturdays, and TC on Sundays...Thank G-d.

Also, make sure you speak with your local Rabbi- they are most knowlegable with the laws and customs of your country and how to live in your area according to Torah- you'll be surprised how easy it can be. If you need a contact let me know, later...