Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 PM
gentleman81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
update on the striping gears issue for mtx4 drivers

i had a lightweight steel 2 speed shaft installed since the car was built, (apporx 1 year ago) well it showed some signs of wear near the one way bearing and the 2 speed housing area, although nothing that would "seem" to cause striping.

well i have been stripping gears every 5 minutes lately, and have tryed everything, and i mean everything (replaced all components from back end, and also cut down the carby ball end so it is smaller) well the last thing i changed was the 2 speed shaft, and since then i did not strip a gear....yet.

so if you are stripping gears it may well be a worn out 2 speed shaft, put in a new one, as the wobble you get from a worn shaft on the 2 speed housing may be enough to cause stripping.

honestly i think the issue is that mugen designed the pinion and spurs wrong. the teeth on the pinnion do not contact enough of the spur (ie only 1 full tooth makes contact, and another 2 just grab half a tooth)
my buddy has been strippin them all this time with a brand new car. the only thing that fixed it so far for him, was a 4mm chassis. anyone else???