R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - novarossi EXPERTS only - precisely what is this motor?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:21 PM
cybertoolzz
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Manticore
I am not an expert but here is an expert of Novarossi

http://www.novarossi.com/motori_ing/12/rs12tring.html
thx - of course i have BEEN here -
a. nothing about what kind of PLUGS the motors use - what is and IS NOT "turbo";

b. nothing about what the 'TR' means or anything about any of the other designations...

Originally posted by Novarossi
BTW, its in Italian, but just click onto the Novarossi logo then on the left menu click on the 2.1cc link
thx - a little more info here - the data for the kinds of plugs used in the motors is listed - that helps;

also note that the CARB dia. listed on this site shows as 5.5mm for the RS12S1TR - whereas the other site (above) lists the carb as 5.4 dia for the same motor - which is ACCURATE?

here's what i have been able to figure out;

'TR' designation means Truck - NOT repeat NOT turbo!
'T' means Turbo
'S' means Slide
'R' means Rotary
'1' means 5M shaft = threaded??
'2' means SG shaft
'3' means 3 ports - but MOST of them HAVE 3 ports - wtf??
'5' means 5 ports - ?? what about 4??

next - it is the ORDER in which the designators are listed that is CRITICAL; the 'T' for turbo must come directly AFTER the '12' - if it doesn't = non turbo. for example,
RS12S1 = non turbo
RS12TS1 = turbo;

i can see why it was easy for the guys at the lhs to get confused - just the ITALIAN way. i guess they don't have any difficulty with this extremely confusing naming scheme at Novarossi.

SO - what about wether or not i can use the turbo head in THIS RS12S1TR motor? - it fits - that's for sure - the parts listed with the motor show TWO diff part numbers for the std and turbo heads - i believe that it's simply switching to the turbo head - just like on my sts12 - that's all i did to go turbo on my sts12. i just want to be sure i have it correct. damn Italians....

same thing for the crank - TWO part nums;

the question IS - what is DIFFERENT about the two cranks? what makes one crank a turbo and the other non-turbo? the crank on the motor i bought (the motor which is NOT turbo - even though it SAYS it is tubRo!) has the shark groove in the face of the crank... what else does a 'turbo crank' have? a widened inlet port?

still confused...