R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
Bit annoyed today...

I have always used blue threadlock on the metal-to-metal fittings on my cars, I have always found that hand tightening alone isn't enough to keep them from working loose - and for the first time I have ended up with jammed parts and stripped screw heads!

Not sure what it is about the TA-05 that has caused this - I think it might have something to do with the aftermarket stainless steel screws I have fitted, rather than the black steel kit screws I have always had in other cars.

Anyway, I now have a car that you cannot change the suspension blocks on (kit ones are working OK so not such a big problem right now, but it means that the 1E block and roll centre shims I was going to experiment with will stay in their packs for now!). Unfortunately when I need to change some parts I will be looking at the following scenarios...

At best: New screws after slotting/soldering an allen key to them.

At middling: new chassis after hacking it away (at least the plastic tub is cheap)

At worst: New suspension blocks, new motor mount, and possibly a new spur adaptor as well if that is jammed too!

Bugger.
Quick update on this. Took the Dremel to the car this afternoon. Three screws slotted, couple of small cuts on the chassis (which I will replace to be safe), otherwise no other damage.

Looking at the screws I had put far too much threadlock on and they had glued themselves to the plastic chassis.

Silly mistake, thankfully it will only cost about a tenner to set right.