R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - road rail track system
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
I don't mean to be contentious, but I find it very strange that you guys are justifying paying $2000 for plastic. I see no reason for you guys to be defending them. They are only making our hobby more expensive.

Honestly, with this attitude, we'll be seeing $500 touring cars in the very near future.
We allready do...$200-$300 for a top end racing TC, $80-$120 for a high end servo, $150 for a speed control, $50-$80 for a motor, $60-$100 for a FM or better reciever. That all adds up over $500 even looking at the low price ranges.

I'm willing to pay a decent price for something that works well as the Roadrails do. It's a well thought out system that doesn't require any special joiner pieces or screws or anything of the such to get lost. For my area land is at a premium so finding a place with a good enough surface to hold a race is at a premium let alone the space it would take to store the equipment. We have a small track and use a Roadrail system that gets setup every race and taken down after every race. It's hugely lighter and vastly more transportable then 2x4s not to mention how much room it would take to store them...and also doesn't have a problem warping like wood does.

I like the square PVC idea...it's a bit less harsh on cars then 2x4s but you still have to have connecting pieces of some sort which are easily lost, something to hold them in place as they are light enough to get easily moved, and a way to transport/store them. Plus at $10 a piece for a 100 piece set your allready at half the cost of a Roadrail system which when properly setup does not need additional fastner pieces or something to hold them in place and transports/stores very easily. Heck I can transport a whole track and all the additional equipment needed to run a race in the back of my Scion tC...there's no way I could do that with any other sytem out there.