R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-Evolution III
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 07:26 PM
mr4-tc sp
Tech Adept

Default Comparsion of TB3 and SD in straight feeling

Quality: Wooooooo. Beautiful! Definitely better than TB3!
Only the quality. but not the material
used). No trim is required except removal of part-tree reminder. The graphic chassis
is the most beautiful part. Space and parts are perfectly fit!!

Layout: Basically same as TB3....
but some majoy features signify it blood!! It is a little bit thicker than TB3
(Of course!! SD has 3 floors where TB3 has only 2). The whole chassis is stronger
and less twist than TB3. The drive train system is higher than TB3 around 2mm.
Suspension is the most unique feature it has. It is totally a copy of MR4TC sp
(I means the style!! Yokomo Fans should happy to hearing that!! They are not copying
from Tamiya). What from stock setup is just like the SP (V-shape front suspension
arm angle... ETC). However the suspension system lets you adjusting it into Tamiya
style (flatter lower arm angle).

Material Use: Some better some worse.
The most I like is the graphic plate (Must be). I love the
plastic it uses also. It is harder than the one used in TB3 except the lower arm.
All the car using the same kind of plastic in the chassis. Some graphic seems mixed inside
but not really sure. The shock absorber is look better than TB3 but I cannot say it is better
since TRF damper is really smooth!!! The screws it uses are all hexi-head and made of
light weight material. I am not sure it is Ti or not, May be aluminium I think.
The CVD dog-bone is really heavy one (I will change it latter). The most disappointing place is
the suspension block. Make of plastic make me look back my TB3. The suspension pin is also another
disappointing. If it is as think as Tamiya, it will be perfect. BTW the spacer it uses in the
suspension is also suck!

Drive Train: Must be good but not perfect!!!
The weight of the drive train is the most questioning area. From the design point of view,
TB3 has a lighter and higher efficient layout. It is the smoothest, simplest and most efficient
shaft-drive I have even seen. However, easy damage of the front gears deducts the mark it has.
I give TB3 90 marks in this area.
What SD adopted is the TC3 style. Divide the whole shaft-train into 3 pieces. This cause
little efficient problem but give a higher reliablity. Additional structure adds more weight on
the whole driving system. The front one-way design is the best I have seen. The metal plate
backup 90% area of the one-way gear. Light weight front one-way outdrive is another sweet point.
The small bevel gear are fixed in the axis with screw and couse no space. The gear box is hard
enough to keep the gear mesh inside. So from the design, stripping gear from dis-position in
hard collision like TB3 seems not exist in SD. The drive-train is just smooth but not as good as
a run-in TB3. Of course if SD has run in, it will be smooth also. I give it 95 marks. (TC3 has
only 85 in my opinion! It is not smooth enough when compare with this 2 badies.).