R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Futaba FASST VS Spektrum DSM
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Artificial-I
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Finally installed tested out the Futaba FASST System.

Straight away it was pretty obvious. The car does react quicker. It just felt like the servos were much quicker to respond. I would say flat out it makes me a better driver. In a situation where quick reactions either make your mistakes big or small , it seems to be a good thing.

Before with the spektrum I was getting glitching in certain spots at certain distances almost right on the dot everytime. Driving was scary as a lot of the time I had to remember to not let it get out of control or into a spot it would loose control of the vehicle. Not that it would happen much , but as the system was supposed to be glitch free. I found it was pretty good most of the time but would get some glitching in certain areas or situations. Upon final testing I found it was 95% consistent in glitching in a certain area.

So installed the FASST and back out I went. With the FASST , it never glitched once in that exact same area. Not only that not one glitch at all. Where the spektrum would have had 20-30 glitches in the same amount of time. It performs better , its faster and no glitching what so ever in an area that was very prone to glitch up my spektrum. To where it was unusable. In fact in testing in two diffrent areas where I could get glitch to show up , it was perfectly fine. I felt free to just race and focus on the car and not anything else and thats the key. Zero glitching. Now on spektrum I had zero glitching or so it seemed. Every blue moon I would get something odd on the track I couldnt explain. But all of a sudden I was getting quite a bit of glitching from it.

Back to the FASST , the Fail safe when on hrs mode is set via the radio once. You set it and forget it. It was perfect and would throw in the brake as I set it each time when powering down the radio at speed.

Iam very happy to have switched and will be using this setup exclusively from now on. Sad to see it happen , I thought spektrum was great when it first came out. But all at once it showed me it just wasnt right yet. In fact it caused a wreck in my truck even that was using a seperate reciever and possibly one with my on-road. So with that going on I decided to try FASST and lo and behold its running without a glitch in bad locations. As well its faster.

Very happy with the results and hope to see spektrum coming out with something that might get them back in the game. Glad at least to have used spektrum when it was on top of its game but after this its pretty apparent to me that its just not 100% secure and well Id rather use FM over spektrum if thats the case. Not to mention the faster response from the car which did make me feel like the car was just plain better to drive. I think anyone can that not only a sluggish , but truly time delayed reaction in a car is probably not a good thing.

Do a back to back test and see for yourself if your not so sure. Its certainly noticable as far as speed and the perfect no-glitch running just puts your mind at ease. Now to race it at the track coming up soon in 2 weeks. Should be fun to see if I can notice any difference there.