R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - gear ratio 101 - gearing more important than motor?
Old 03-31-2003, 11:56 AM
Corse-R
Tech Elite

Originally posted by cybertoolzz
Corse-R - that is some good info on the ratios you use - thx. i have found that a 1st gear ratio of aroung 6.8-6.9 is ideal for my car/setup and the various tracks i run - the 2nd gear of 4.9 ALMOST tops out my car's 2nd gear at about 125ft - this combo gives me a strong accel punch in the low end and JUST enuff top speed so i am braking at the right monent down the straights.
Cybertoolzz:

Suggesting a gearing isn't such easy as you put. First of all, we need to know what engine, pipe/manifold combo (and their lenght and stinger diameter), fuel type (% Nitro) and many other parameters like the track.

In my case, when I posted some gearing is because I burned more than 15 litres of fuel testing many different parameters (you'll have to be quite good to see the difference between two equal pipes and get the difference on the diameter of the stinger ). Went up to this level (Hey, that's my local track, and I know each mogul of the tarmac).

To pair this, many other parameters can affect your gearing: shifting points, tyre diameter and wheater. Pay attention that I mentioned up to the tyre diameter on my original post, I omited the part regarding what equipment used with those gearing, I'll write here in the case someone needs some advicing on which engine/pipe combo.

- Engine: Novarossi S3 Modified.
- Chamber height(Engine): 0.41mm
- Pipe: Novarossi 53604 (In-line model), stinger drilled up to 5.1mm.
Pipe manifold was ported and polished on their internals matching the exhaust of the engine and the intake of the pipe.
- Plug: Novarossi 6TGF.
- Fuel: Custom blend, 8% oil (6%Castor, 2%Synthetic) - 16% nitro
- Weather: 20ºC air temp, 56% Rel humidity.
- Height over the sea: 636 meters.

This combo gave a very high rpm'ish engine that is quite happy turning at sky-high rpms (and believe me when I say sky-high rpms), that's why my 2nd gear is 'shorter'. This has the advantage of having a closer gear that don't lowers too much your rpms and continue accelerating. Runs out of steam just before of the point that you need to brake.

Another combo:

- Engine: RB 1700-215 model with Turbo button.
- Chamber height: 0.43mm
- Pipe: RB X12 pipe with RB short manifold (1700-193), total lenght of the pipe: 102mm.
Stinger drilled up to 5.2mm. Manifold was ported and polished on the interior to match the diameters.
- Plug: Novarossi 6TGF.
- Fuel: Custom blend, 8% oil - 16% Nitro.
- Weather: 22ºC, 54% Rel humidity.
- Height over the sea: 636 meters.

This combo free revs less than the novarrosi, but has more torque and a quite different powerband more torque oriented, so gearing is pretty similar (but not equal). As the combo #1 runs out of steam just in the place where you need to brake.

Have you seen how difficult is to give an advice for gearing? A difference in the height of the track, air temp and humidity makes quite different power outputs. When people asks for gearing on some tracks, don't do it, see the track and judge by yourself what's the gearing you need, nothing better than yourself to know what engine, pipe and other parts you use.

BTW: Curiously, the Nova, that revs higher their peak temp is slightly lower than the RB engine.