R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - gear ratio 101 - gearing more important than motor?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 AM
cybertoolzz
Tech Adept

some great comments - thx for the ovrdrv.htm InitialD - that is realy cool to see the top speed of the gear combos - i had suggested that feature to Dino at STS for his ratio calc tool.
for my car tho that web page won't let me put in the correct number of teeth for my pulley setups - my front pulley is 35t - the mid rear pulley on my car is 17t.

V-One S - exactly right - gearing is perhaps the most variable element of a car and being that, understanding the effects of gearing can really give u an edge over other recers when u install the correct combo for any given condition. imho.

Corse-R - that is some good info on the ratios you use - thx. i have found that a 1st gear ratio of aroung 6.8-6.9 is ideal for my car/setup and the various tracks i run - the 2nd gear of 4.9 ALMOST tops out my car's 2nd gear at about 125ft - this combo gives me a strong accel punch in the low end and JUST enuff top speed so i am braking at the right monent down the straights.

i have tried a lot of other gear combos and i can really tell how gearing effects the car's overall performance. i had some probs stripping spurs gears, mid/front belts, etc. when i went above about 6.8:1 on the 1st gear - i think what happens is that when i hit the gas from a standing start or high-g turn, the motor (sts12 turbo) has plenty of power but the drivetrain couldn't handle the torque.
stepped 1st down to that 6.8 range, got a fatter mid belt and ELIMINATED ALL excess drivetrain lash - the car takes off like a shot and pulls away from many other fancier/costly cars.

other racers scoff at my stoopid ofna ob4 until they see it run and they're "wtf - what is in that thing?" - knowlege! (and STS motors ;-))
gearing, love it-learn it.