R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Axiom vs. Putnam Propulsion
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 07:51 PM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

This is kind of a funny discussion. Stepping aside from the brush debates, which can actually be physically different, what do you think is really going on in a motor tuner's laboratory?

The basic process that a tuner goes through when a motor is received is pretty much the same: take the motor apart and clean any factory dust off of it, align the brush hoods, true the commutator, put in his choice of brushes/springs. Dyno it and see what happens. Basically, all of the same stuff that you or I would do at the track.

From that point forward, a tuner's skill comes in to play, in balancing the armature. Experience pays off here. Then a break-in period, which will vary from tuner-to-tuner. I have heard of other odd treatments, such as cold storage of the motor cans, or using special lubricants, but I'm not a big proponent of much of that stuff.

At this point, a motor is ready to be shipped to the end user (you or I).

Now, tell me this: the first time you take apart this motor at the track, is it still "hand-tuned" by the tuner, or is it now tuned by you, and none other? The only residual effect of the tuner's work is the armature balancing, and maybe some of the other mumbo-jumbo that may have gone on. Most end users are able to check the other stuff on their own, and take the motors completely apart after every few runs.

So really, the argument here, as far as "Whose Monster Horsepower motor is better than whose?" is really a rather dumb one. You guys should really be discussing which tuner has a better brush/spring combo (or compound).

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't buy tuned motors; for the extra few bucks, I think they are well worth it, especially given Trinity's lack of quality control (at least that's been my experience). I will always buy a tuned motor over a regular one, just to know that somebody halfways competent has been through it and tested it out. An untuned Trinity stocker is usually around $27, a tuned motor will run anywhere from $33 to $40 depending on where you look.

Still, I think it's sort of a dumb debate, to be saying "My XXX tuned Brand Z stock motor is better than your YYY tuned Brand Z stock motor." Because it's probably not.

edit: It should be noted that I'm referring to stock motors here. Mods are a different ballgame entirely.

Last edited by futureal; 03-30-2003 at 07:58 PM.