R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Lipo
Thread: Platinum Lipo
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't mean that we won't be able to test them, even against each other, it's just not clear if using the same methodology that we do with NiMH will tell the whole story, which is what I think Mr. Black was getting at with his comment. I fully expect we'll find a way to test these batteries on the bench that will give us a good indication of its performance on the track, but I'm not convinced that using the standard 30A discharge is the way.

That said, I think it's a mistake to judge the merits of LiPo on how it compares to NiMH on the discharger or the track. I understand that this will mean something to racers at big events, and I expect the NiMH will remain strong in that crowd probably until weight limits are changed, but for just about everybody else, that first minute of a little extra voltage isn't really the point, and definitely doesn't justify the added headaches.

Originally Posted by EddieO
I dunno if that makes any sense......no batteries are equal, even LIPOs......I have tested the discharge of the Orion packs I have, no two are the same.....even when charged at the same temps and such. Each has a unique curve, along with different runtime, and IR......so while the numbers that end up getting printed on the packs may be a bit different.....they will still exist though......and the racers will use them.....consumers will buy them.....and cheapbatterypacks.com or whatever will sell unmatched ones that people will buy....

And wait till some battery geek figures out how the voodoo works.....

It's all just a matter of time.

Later EddieO