R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
MadHacker
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tonight I had the chance to run the truck for a few tanks... and after some quick examination have found that the nubz tires are almost treadless! LOL. I guess that's to be expected as they really weren't intended for pavement running! Hahaha! I guess I've got myself a set of "street tires" now!

I washed the truck up, and blew it off with compressed air, then lubed the engine, and pulled the rear diff out to wash out the diff oil and replace. I like to do the first oil change after a few tanks so that all the metal flakes from the break-in process will be replaced with clean oil.

In the first picture, you can see that removing the diff is fairly simple. 8 screws and you're in. The diff slides out the back of the bulkhead. It took all of about 30 seconds for me to remove the rear diff.

After I'de cleaned everything up I re-assembled the rear diff. When I mated the ring gear to the diff case, the bevel gear on that shaft slipped off... I didn't know this had happened, and one of the bevel gears cracked when I started to torque the ring gear onto the diff case... Doh!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellfire, Diff Removal.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	221023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hellfire, Broken Bevel.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	221024  

Last edited by MadHacker; 06-03-2007 at 11:55 AM.