R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Serpentd
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
Hey SerpentD I have a question, when you are doing a fade, how do you coat the fade area?

Like lets say silver to white, you do silver fade the middle and go to white
when u do a second coat would u just do everything all white or silver? or do u have to repeat that fade at the same spot for the duration of the coats?
Dude, how did you come up with such a tricky question? Just kidding. I actually had to think how I would do the silver into white. I don't think I've ever done that combe. But regardless, every combo can be done. I the silver to white case, I would probably start with silver first, because it has all those little silver specs that spread out with the overspray. However, if you didn't want those little specs, then start with white, but I would start with silver because it would make a smoother fade easier. What makes this sound tricky is that both of these colors are used for backing.

Lets say that we are doing a fade on the whole car, front silver and rear white with the fade in the middle. I would start out with the silver in the front and work back towrds the fade. I would do about 2-3 coats of silver but making sure that I have it thicker in the front and gradually get thinner towards the middle of the car where the white will meet and fade. Silver can be a weird color to work with sometimes. I would hold the body up to the light or put like a white towel under the silver after my 2-3 coats and see when it's ready for the white. When it looks ready, just do the entire car white after that with like 2-3 coats. The white will enhance the Silver where it starts to get a little thinner and should blend perfectly.

The main trick here is to let the silver slowly build up good in the front and spread a little with the overspray. It's a bit hard to explain, I wish I could show you instead. But you can control this with the angle you hold your spray can or airbrush.

Now if you were to do this with flames or something and had to add some other colors around it. I might back it with 2 coats of silver over the white just to prevent any "show through". You know? Sometimes white isn't opaque enough to prevent some colors to show through. So I would use the silver here to make sure.

I would get a practice strip of lexan and try it on there first so you get an idea of how much silver you will need to lay down first. Just practice a bit before you commit to the body. I hope this sort of helped bro. I wish I could do those cool vids like Gansei. Maybe I will get out my digital video camera and try this out. But until that day comes, just ask away and I will try my best to explain. Good luck bro!