R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric vs Gas?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 PM
W.E.D.Jim
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I think both classes have their strong and weak spots. I like the clean, quiet electrics usually, since it is cheaper and the better drivers seem to stay with electric. There is new technology coming that will make 30 minute mains and low maintenance brushless the ticket, which will help alot!

Gas has longer races, which i'm not sure if more wear and tear and higher fuel expenses make it better, but the track time is fun. There is the noise, which adds to the realism, the strength of the parts and the racers mechanical ability can even the playing field considerably!

I have heard in the past that gas is cheaper, but anyone who does both knows better. Even some of the mags are guilty of promoting this propaganda, which we all know better. I see guys go thru a gallon of fuel in one weekend, plus clutch parts, bearings, glow plugs, more track time means more tires and wheels, etc., every weekend. Not to mention the amount of guys using $130 servos and spektrum systems, lipo receiver batteries, etc.

Gas is where the turnout is right now, especially trucks, but I see a trend back to electric after enough of the electric and factory gas/electric drivers make it tuff to come by wins.....That usually brings about class change time for most club racers. When the wins stop coming, at least once in a while, most either stop racing or change classes.

Just like everything else, it will get old after a while, doing the same thing weekend after weekend.
That is why I race a little of both, to break up the monotiny.

( jmo )
...Jim
W.E.D.