Thread: Novarossi Plugs
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Dredd
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by D_o_S
Thanks for the replies,

Ok,

I was outside just now, and decided to start my LST2 for the first time after its long winter break...

For winter, I literally flooded the engine with ARO... so it logically took a while for me to flood it all out... Then, I thought I had problems with fuel getting to the engine... I don't use the primer, but I plug the exhaust, and use the roto to crank the engine... I did that a few times, and no go. I however began to smell the scent of burnt nitro . Convinced that I've got problems with fuel delivery, I fetched a can of compressed air, and blew it down the exhaust pipe (I know, I could have blown, but one never knows what they put in today's fuels, and I don't want to go blind/die). I blew 2 short bursts, and inserted the roto wand... and it snapped out of my hand. From previous experience, I knew that this meant the engine was flooded... so I took out the glow plug, spun the engine over, put in the plug, and primed the engine. It flooded again. Again same procedure, again I managed to flood it. Now, I was sure that fuel was getting to the engine, so I just primed it via the exhaust. I also changed all the plugs I have around (from the original A3, to the Novarossi 6 (it was a 6 that I had, not an 8-oops ), then to the C6 "Super", and also I tried the C 7 Super)). Anyhow, I inserted the roto, glow ignitor, and "pop" it went, but only ran for like 1 second. I fiddled around with the needles, and also opened up the idle gap... got it running Gee, I was so happy Ran it for like half a tank, and since we have a new lawn (or something, my dad put some special soil on it or something, and I didn't want to destroy all that) I plugged the exhaust, returned the piston to BDC, and decided to call it a day.

I however do have a question... it was ~14 C outside, and the engine got up to 90 C... does that sound ok?

Thanks.
90c is very very very cold for a nitro motor

So yes I would say that is ok if the engine was performing well and didn't feel like it was bogging or in any way struggling. I lean my motor out to around 120c (about 250F). I don't tune based on temps, but what I do is lean it out on the high end 1 hour at a time until I notice no performance increase or the engine wants to stall at WOT (wide open throttle). Then I richen from there about 1-1.5 hours. From that point I run a few high speed passes at WOT or on the track a few laps and bring it in and check temps. I just try to keep it from running any more than 280F which is about 137c. I never touch the low end needle if the engine starts and does not seem to have trouble at idle and does not bog when the throttle is opened less than 1/2.

Once I have the engine initially tuned I almost never really touch it. I only lean it out 1hour on days colder than the ititial day I tuned it. Or on a day hotter than the day I initially tuned I would richen it up 1hour. Then check temps after a few passes/laps and make sure it's getting good temps. Then I will tune for the next day of running based on that day's conditions. This makes it easier than having to totally retune each time (for me). Some guys like to take it back up to break in settings to get started then slowly lean down until they get to a comfortable performance and temp level for the day.

Also some guys will lean out a motor to 300F (148c) and think nothing of it. Personally I like to be on the safer side of things and stay under 280F (137c or so). This prevents me from going overlean on the engine and burning it up faster. I do not have the money to spend on new engines alot so I'm pretty careful.