R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - should the 13.5 brushless be ran in a stock brushed class
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The difference is drastically more pronounced in 1/12th and oval than anywhere else, so with a combo of the two, it's understandable that you see a pretty big gap. I'm not saying it isn't present in sedans as well, because there is some gap, but it doesn't seem nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.
There is also some correlation to touring car, as far as weight goes. I know that in my TRF415, my car weighs in at about 55.8 oz. with my brushless setup(the GTB & 13.5 with Novak's heat sink on it), but switch it out for my brushed setup(a GTX & stock motor like a Co27, for example) & the weight comes down to 51.8 oz. Even in 1/10 scale cars, 4 ounces is quite noticable a difference, & I think that's a small part of why it can be possible for brushed & the 13.5 to run together(but again, this only works with the bonded rotor, I DO agree that with the sintered one the 13.5 has a significant edge), the 13.5 has to lug significantly more weight, & because of the bonded rotor's heat/gearing issues, you can't gear it as aggressively as a brushed, so it DOES tend to even things(not perfectly, but we're NEVER going to see perfect equality between them, imo). I know no one has to believe me, but this is simply from my own observations & experimentation in my own cars. And I'd still love to see some real-world comparisons ontrack between the sintered 13.5 & some 23 turn brushed motors(I'm suspecting more & more that they would be VERY close in power & characteristics)....