R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 705
Thread: Serpent 705
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2003, 09:30 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Guys,

What kind of track you all racing on that you will need a 14t and 17t pinion!?!?!?
It must be a track that dosn't have a strait-away or not a very big one!!
Well, sometimes lower pinions are necessary... The tracks do have straightways but they are sometimes no more than 120 feet long.

Think about it... Reflex, V1R and the MTX-3 cars have stock internal drive ratios of 2.53 compared to the Serpent's internal drive ratio of 2. For the MTX-3, pair this up with the stock 16T/20T pinions and 47T/43T spurs, you end up with 7.42 and 5.43 final drive ratios respectively for the 1st and 2nd gears.

Compare this to our lowest possible final drive ratios (assuming using stock pulleys) of 6.67 and 5.11 using 15T/18T pinions and 50T/46T spurs, the Mugen's have more acceleration out of the corners or from standstill.

Yes, for long straight tracks, the Serpents sure dominate but for short tracks, it'll be tough. Tracks on this side of the world are unfortunately on the shorter side.

So using the optional 22T/47T and 17T pulleys, this will effectively translate the 15T/18T pinions to something like 14T/17T with 7.12 and 5.46 final drive ratios. If the 14T and 17T pinions are physically available and using stock 23T/46T and 18T pulleys, final drive ratios are 7.14 and 5.41 respectively using 50T/46T spurs.

I think personally, most of the time the Serpent 705 / Impulse is always overgeared for most tracks. Even on super large tracks like the one in Ohio where the worlds were held, there is absolutely no problems with regards to having enough gear. I think the problem is always looking for the lowest gear possible on tight tracks with the Impulse / 705.

I think I mentioned about how a friend's 3 port turbo STS RS3 mod engine on an Impulse with the optional internal pulleys and 13T/16T fixed pinions on an old Centax clutchbell with 50T/45T spurs (which effectively gives about 8.22 and 6.01 final drive ratios) that outran a 5 port Rody tuned on a Reflex on the straights, out of the corners and in the infield