R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GP Cells...
Thread: GP Cells...
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
linger
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
Well, they do have the ability to be more durable during storage.....never said they didn't, but they are not immune. Try storing one at 100% charge....see how it works after 2 months of sitting....the point being, u need to store them correctly, regardless of battery type and take care of your stuff.....

And why call Orion.....I will call Kokam and get them myself....

Later EddieO
Hi Eddie,
The ability af a lipo to withstand storage is manufacturer dependent. I had one lot of cells where a bunch of cells puffed up just sitting there fully charged in under a month - though this only happened with one manufacturer. Most all the good Lipo manufacturers guarantee that a cell can withstand a 6 month storage with no ill-effects other than a slight loss of capacity (even fully charged) and I have literally thousands of cells in my storage cabinet for over a year and there are 0 failures. Kokam is the exception - they are now claiming 5 year storage with their latest cells, but like all manufacturer claims, I'll believe it when I get the data myself.

Compare that to my IB cells. My 3 newest packs were stored fully charged for about 3-4 months. Two of the packs have one dead cell, the last pack has 2 dead cells. All packs ($210 worth) are pretty much useless. I did a couple of cycles to wake them up (with a gentle 10A discharge rate) and one reads 2930 mAh and the second one reads 3368 mAH and the third is still cycling. I hate IB and I hate the fact that I need to buy more Nimh for the Reedy Race.

I hope you do call Kokam. Peak/Orion needs some competition when it comes to providing racers a quality cell.

Hey, wasn't this the GP thread? Sorry, off topic again.