R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC5
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
DaveW
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The foam tire sedan thing has been a problem for many. Since this was my first year racing on them, I had no idea what it was like in the past. But I have been told many times that foams used to be better and less complicated. Everyone used to use the same tires no matter what so it was as if there was a spec tire. I definitely think someone needs to regulate foam tires in some way because the complication will not only keep new drivers away, but can furstrate current racers and possibly send them to a different hobby.

This is the major reason i shelved my TC. Buying foams and truing them down to a two run size for rollout wasnt my idea of fun. It became WAAAY too much work. I spent too much time in the pit wrenching/tweaking on my crap and less time with racers having a good time. I guess my idea of fun has changed over the past 12 years i have raced. The sad thing is its the nature of the beast... racing is just that, finding the fastest way around the track over the next guy... it aint cheap no matter what size car you compete with.

Now i wrench on my full sized car (almost under it every day now) that doesnt need trued/replaced chunked tires, or a new body every two weeks cause some jackoff cant stop hacking you. Its a new hobby, like you said... and to me/for me... the rewards are greater... and less likely to be effed up by someone else that doesnt care as much as i do.

I would love for a major company to spearhead a solid, REAL "spec" class with a solid race car and "spec" tires/batteries to boot. I mean really put some $$$ behind it to make it the next big thing that STICKS. If you cant get the current governing bodies to make up their minds about batteries/motors/tires/classes etc... then MAKE ONE that offers reasonable decisions for long discussed issues that can rejuvenate the industry to what it once was. Now that i go back and read this it doesnt seem to adhere to the topic so well... i apologize...

...TC5 rules.