R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What constitutes a ROAR legal stock arm?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billneu
Again refer to my WHY? Posting! And tell me what of that list you don't do now...... it all adds up guys, it all adds up....whether you like it or not it all adds up..............
Why do we use wheel bearings instead of brass bushings?

I haven't seen a 1/12 kit with bushings since... This is a non-issue.

Why do we lower the car to the min clearance?

I don't. Run mine at 4-4.5 on our track, ran 3.5-4 on your smoother carpet.

Why do we oil the mtr bearings?

Maintain the life of the investment. Pretty sure they run faster (for a while) w/o.

why do we use 4200s and not 3800s, when we still have 1200mah left in our batteries?

Ya got me there. Higher voltage, able to gear car higher/faster. etc. Paid for speed. Then again, 3300's were plain wore out and my 3800's managed to short themselves out in my battery box, so I really did need new batteries.

Why do we re-peak the batteries?

I really don't. Complete the charge, strap 'er in and go.

Why do we check to see if all of the tire sizes match?

I do this--handling gets a bit wonky otherwise.

Why do we use Paragon instead of the other non smelly stuff?

I don't. Had my trusty bottle of Niftech and used it at both Degelmann races and PKC I.

Why do we use traction compound at all?

'Cause someone told me a long time ago I had to. But I see where you're going.

Why do we cut the armature?

Yeah, maybe 1-2 per season. I finally broke down and serviced my KD 19T motor I've raced all year at Colorado as the endbell almost fell off.

Why do we put in new brushes?

See above. Something has generally gone very wrong if I remove a motor from my car.

Why do we buy new motors?

Pretty much one per season per class.

Why don't we use the motors we had in the 90s?

I will if you will. If I'm not mistaken, those motors no longer comply with ROAR regs. Similarly, a non-issue.

Why did we buy the newest version of the car we drive?

You're talking to the guy who built 2 new 3.2R's for this year, eschewing the newer, supposedly better Gen-X. Saved a bundle too.

Why do we change tire compounds?

I really don't. Though I must confess I actually tried a tire compound change at Denver--first time I've done this since...

Why do we even practice?

SO ALL THE ABOVE MIGHT MAKE SOME SEMBLANCE OF DIFFERENCE IN MY PERFORMANCE.

Why is Stormer selling all of this stuff to us?

'Cause we're weak and will buy it. Gotta pay for Randon's college somehow.

Geez Bill--you should be beating me by 2-3 laps too, 'cause I really don't do much to win. Most of that stuff...just not necessary. I think there is a psychological advantage for some people doing all that, that they pull up to the line knowing their car is the best they can make it. Me...I'm lazy. The day I run two consecutive heats without getting marshalled is the day I start worrying about any of the above that I don't do. It ain't happened yet, so I know there's WAY more time left in me than in my equipment.

Scottrik