R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM
imprsme
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
If someone truely believes the stuff is safe, try drinking it...if your body rejects the stuff, you know its bad....

After countless visits to allergists, general practitioners and neurologists each and everyone of them have contributed the ill effects I've experienced to "pro-long" exposure to the tire additives and other chemicals we use in a closed environment such as indoor carpet racing.

Carl- got a few questions about your post and a comment also...

First the comment about drinking it to see if its safe.....Well good buddy I am HIGHLY allergic to MILK! If I DRINK it, it DOES some pretty bad things to me. In the form of Migraine headaches. So now that I have stated that should I go DRINK some, knowing that I have allergic reactions to it. Then try and get all milk products BANNED from YOUR local supermarkets?

NO, I don't think so.
Also I would think that EVERYONE on here would agree that MILK is a very SAFE product, RIGHT???

So why if a tractor trailer wrecks and the container that its pulling is full of MILK and that container opens and spills its contents on the roadway....WHY DOES A HAZ-MAT TEAM HAVE TO BE CALLED IN DURING THE CLEAN UP STAGES??? Don't believe me, call your local State police and ask um. I almost fell in the floor when my good friend told me that. BTW he owns a wrecker service that responds to Tractor Trailer wrecks and was telling me about having to work with a the HAZ-MAT team on a truck that spilled milk. Milk spills over 10 gallons is considered HAZARDOUS MATERIAL!

You say that countless trips to allergist,general practitioners and neurologist have all said that the ill effects you have experienced are due to the chemicals that are used in some of the products you have had long term exposer to just in RC!

Well I looked on my can of paragon, shock oils, motor spray, Buggy grip and I can't find one bottle or can that has the ingredents listed.....

So how can a Dr. tell you, you are allergic to something to the point that he can narrow it down to causing you serious harm, without actually knowing what is in the products?

Now I can believe that they would agree that the STRONG odor may cause you headaches. But I bet if you stood in an enclosed building with an open 5 gallon can of gasoline for too long you too would get a headache.
Heck Paragon has a winter green smell, correct, at your next indoor race BAN all rc traction compounds and have ALL the racers use BEN-GAY, it smells like wintergreen right?? Have them use it on themselves as if they were applying it to the tires on thier cars......I wonder if the STRONG SMELL would cause headaches? I think all of use would agree that Ben-Gay is a pretty safe product also.