R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning your car
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Ron C.
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I hate dirt, and a dirty car, so my cleaning is a bit more involved.
Step by step:
1. remove the 4 major componets of the car: radio deck, front end, rear end and engine.. This leaves 5 parts with the chassis
2. Blow the parts off with air and denatured alcohol
3. Use Serpent Cleaning Gum on the entire car, getting into all the tight places.
4. Remove all the bearings: pull the seals and spray them out with Nitro Blast. relube the bearings with Bob's Banana Lube (for bearings)
5. Engine Cleaning: Remove the pipe and header. Clean with fuel or alcohol and rags. Take the engine and use the Serpent cleaning gum to remove everything on the outside of the engine, using a 1.5mm to push it into all the vented areas to get the gunk out. Use a pipe cleaner and alcohol to clean in between all the cooling fins on the head. Inspect the clutch and replace any worn parts. I use marine grease for the thrust bearing (I have only had 1 go bad in 3 years.)
6. Re-assemble the car, inspecting EVERYTHING for anything worn. Use the same marine grease on the outdrives to keep wear down. Never use oil on the cvd joints, use grease. The oil will make them rust when you use alcohol. Use a toothbrush to clean out the belts and pullies.
7. after completely assembled, wipe the car down with a clean towel to remove any residual leftovers.

This is what I do after every race. In between heats, I just blow it off with air and use the Serpent Cleaning Gum to get most of the gunk off. Also, I wipe the pipe down with a paper-towel and alcohol. This will keep the pipe looking good for a long time by not letting the crud get burned to the pipe.
The exact same way I clean my car...