R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
JimSpencer
Tech Initiate

Hi Silver,

I think you mean this one I did a few days ago.

Originally Posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Just out of interest I thought you might to know what happened over here..

A few years ago we were all running Paragon (or similar)

Very shortly before a 1/12 Euro's the organisers announced there was going to be an odourless addative supplied to all the competitors, and that's what we all had to use.

Caused an interesting discussion, along the lines of the previous pages..
Not popular with the drivers or the country reps, but the organising club made the call and it was just tough, accept their decision or don't go.

I was extreamly upset, vocally so, and as it turned out very very wrong indeed...

Within a few weeks of going to that event, the drivers in the UK 1/12 scene had voted 'Odourless addatives only' for their nationals - myself included.

Within another few months EFRA had adopted the same rule for the following Euro's.

Both the UK (BRCA) and EFRA now operate the same system, there are several different brands on the list, the events are pleasent places to be, you can even call in a bar or a restaurant on the way home without everybody else their wondering what ailment you must have to smell that bad

Now I'm not saying the grip is the same (though probably not that much different) and I'm not saying that the odourless addative is actually any 'safer' or not. But it makes a huge difference to the perception of the event and certainly the number of racers and the attraction of the class has improved.

Suggest you just try it sometime, it's a risk for an event organiser, but one that's well worth taking.

This is the current BRCA 1/12 section rule:-
(Also now used for most other electric racing indoors in the Uk, including TC's)

Additives for the 2006/7 season are still to be only of the odourless variety: -

Those found so far: -

Corally TC2 (Jack the Gripper) Silver can - pink writing (13779)
LRP Top Traction (Blue Factor) White can - blue writing (6501)
Orion Street Juice (TC Traction F1) clear bottle - purple writing (44101)
Orion Foam Juice Formula clear bottle – yellow writing (44105)
CS Grip Tyre Conditioner – High Grip clear bottle white label (C6400)
- Or short tin can - white and yellow label (C6400)
The packaging of the CS addative changed -same part number, two types of container

If you have another odourless additive you would like checked as being ok this can be done by giving it or sending it to the committee (via the eligibility officer please) However don't expect it to be done on the day at a national, we'll need a couple of weeks to check it (chemically and on the track)

(This is because certain additives when mixed on a track can destroy the grip for everybody present, those listed above are all known to work together ok)