R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12L4 or Carpet Knife?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Rotary Racer
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have both cars and I do like them both, but. After buying and building the 3.2 I would have to say hands down bang for the buck the 3.2 is the way to go. With the 12L4 I ended up purchasing a few items that were “temperamental” or a pain to use, also the 12L4 kit lacks some items that are necessary to run the car. So if you take into account these items to purchase you are pretty much at the 3.2R kit price if not a bit more. Also you might be able to find a local dealer who is blowing out the 3.2's for a sweet deal so they can start selling the Gen-X (that is how I got mine).

- Front axels with threads instead of the c-clip, standard on the 3.2 have to buy aftermarket on the 12l4.
- Aluminum rear pod bulk head sections for both sides (with a heat sink style on the motor plate bulk head). The 12L4 has a flat aluminum bulk head for the motor plate and a “graphite” (I call it plastic) one for the other side.
- VCS shock. The 12L4 comes with the annoying plastic clipped shock that and small bump into a rail, another car, hell breathing to heavily on it will pop it apart and your done for that session or race.
Lacking items:
- It also comes with a decent set of carpet tires. The 12L4 you got to pony up for some Jaco’s or what not.
- Not that this item is much money but it is a pain to find out build your self: It comes with a tool that is thin enough to adjust the camber on the front end

Also on a driving note. The 12L4 took me a bit to get it working well on carpet and asphalt. But the 3.2R I built it, installed the electronics, set the shock, set the tweak, slapped it on the carpet track and it was on rails. No fine tune adjustments, no head scratching trying to figure out how to make the car work the way I need it to work, it just ran flawlessly. On another note, my local track opened up the asphalt track again (were having good warm weather right now got to love CA). So for giggles I changed tires and plopped it on the track with out any changes. Perfect ran great no problems. Got to give it up to this car, it’s off the hook!!